Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"Steps to Learning A New Language."

Learning a foreign language is a big commitment. If you consider all the options and set goals before you start, you’re much more likely to have a successful transition from a simple “Merci!” to enjoying a French film without subtitles. Checking your motivations, choosing the right language, and deciding what methods you’ll use to study and perfect the new tongue are all important steps.

Why learn a foreign language?

There are dozens of different reasons why people decide to learn a foreign language. Getting your reasons clear in your mind will help you keep focused on a goal which can seem far away when you’re struggling to get past “uno, dos, tres."
When I knew I was moving to Japan to work, I took my first Japanese course. I never intended to be able to read a Japanese newspaper, but I hoped that during my stay in Osaka I’d be able to ask directions, shop with ease and make a little small talk. In my continuing Japanese classes in a community hall on the way to Kyoto, I met other foreigners with varying reasons for choosing to grapple with Japanese. Robert, married for several years to a Japanese woman who spoke perfect English, wanted to understand his wife and their future children when they spoke together in Japanese. Kylie had worked her way up from a typical English teacher’s job to the brink of a promotion into a publishing firm, as long as her Japanese skills got up to scratch.
For travel, romance, work, or simply to keep your brain active: your reason is unique for you, but it’s important that it’s clear. Do you need to be a fluent reader and writer or will everyday conversation serve your purposes? Think about this and set an appropriate goal defining the level you want to reach.


No comments:

Post a Comment