Thursday, October 28, 2010

"Describe outdoor living to someone who lives in an apartment in the city"


Basically, outdoor living is like a living room outside:

“Kimberly, what’s outdoor living?”
“It’s a living room outside.”
“So the living room outside?”
“Yes... I mean no.”
“Then what is it?”
“Its just furniture outside in your patio.”
“What’s a patio?”
“Didn’t you just ask me what outside living is?”
“But I live in an apartment in the city so...”
“Ugh... a patio is an area, usually paved, adjoining a house and used as an area for outdoor lounging, dining, etc. which is where outdoor living comes from.”
“So what’s outdoor living?”
“Weren’t you paying attention to the first sentence I said?!”
“You said it was a living room!”
“Outside, dammit!”
“So, what’s outside?”
“The furniture!”
“What kind of furniture?”
(Finally a normal question!)”The basic stuff.”
“Like?”
“Like, a sofa, dining table and chairs--”
“I thought you said it is a living room outside.”
“Let me finish!”
“Okay.”
“Anyway, it has a sofa, dining table and chairs, rugs, and--”
“You can put rugs outside?!”
“Ugh... yeah?”
“I didn’t know that.”
“..............What city are you from again?”
“Oh New York.”
“O......kay...... so yeah... outdoor living...”
“Yeah.”
“So yeah, outdoor living is really nice.”
“Really?”
“Yeah.”
“Can I see a picture of it?”
“Sure. Here it is.”















“..................”
“What? You don’t like it?”
“That’s my patio! It looks pretty on photo!”
I leave the studio in silence and hop into my car. I close the car door and drove off.
“What? Was it something I said? I guess not. Time to drink tea on my patio!”

1 comment: